Friday, October 18, 2013

Trust

If I say "I trust you!", it is a big deal.  I do not trust easily.  I have always had trouble trusting people.  Because of that, I have a very small group of very close friends, and lots of acquaintances.  Those few that I truly trust, well, they all hold a piece of my heart. 

Every one of those close friends has earned my trust in some way.  I know it sounds terrible to admit that people must earn my trust.  When I am 'approached' with friendship, I am a lot like a feral cat.  I have to be convinced that I will be safe if I trust you.  Sometimes it doesn't take long, but other times, it may take weeks or even months.  Very few people have been able to do that, and those people mean all the world to me.

Most people, I trust a small amount.  I tend to follow my gut instinct about folks.  Sometimes I am wrong, but normally, they prove me out in the end.  That is one of the reasons I do not trust easily.  First impressions are very important, but my intuition is even more important.  


I guess you could say I am a 'trust but verify' kind of person.  Those that I trust have given me good reason to trust them.  Not a one of them, though, knows all of my 'secrets'.  One or two of them know a lot of my 'secrets' but even they don't know them all.  

There is only one, right now, that I would say knows the most about what makes me tick.  That person has given me very good reason to be as open with them as I have been.  They have been extremely open and trusting with me.  


I love the people I trust, and I trust the people that I love.  That will not change.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment