Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Why I blog

Someone recently asked me why I have a blog.  My first thought was "Why does it matter to you?".  Flippant, I suppose but it truly was what came to mind.  Then I started to think about it.  Why do I blog?  Here's what I've come up with...

I blog because I like to write.  The process of letting the words flow from my mind to my fingertips and onto the computer screen is therapeutic.  Writing helps me to work out issues that are bothering me, share things that make me happy, find consolation from situations that make me cry.  With my blog, I can let friends in on what is happening in my life, tell stories that some of them will recall fondly and let new friends in on what makes me tick.  No, I don't think that blogging makes me special.  What I think is if something I have been through can help another person, then it is my obligation to tell my tale(s).
  
I blog because it gives me a way to openly reach out to the people I love, old and new.  I can tell them I am here for them or I really appreciate your support.  It gives me a chance to provide empathy and compassion to those same friends and family when they need it.  It is the virtual hug that reminds them they are not alone.

I have struggled throughout most of my life with depression and feeling very negative about this world we live in.  It is because of my friends that I have learned there is so much more to this world when you stop looking at it as 'a glass is half empty'.  My blog helps my friends, some who lead very busy lives, to know when I need a little backup.  

I have found that by writing I have been able to open up my mind to new possibilities, new opportunities, new ways of looking at problems I may face.  I write my blog and fight the loneliness that comes in the middle of the night.  I write my blog and share strength with others to face the next day.  I read the comments and draw strength that I need to face the sunrise and what it may bring.  

From my love for cats, my obsession with Ryback, my family, and my friends who mean the world to me, I guess there is a selfish element to it.  I admit that.  I enjoy the feedback that I get.  I need that feedback some days.  Occasionally I am the one in need of the virtual hug, lol.  When my soul is darkened by a fear,  sorrow or anger, blogging helps to release that pain.  I write it away.  By venting via my blog, I get to move forward instead of being stuck in one place, bitching and moaning.  

My life is not awful in any way.  It isn't perfect but if I were perfect, I wouldn't be here.  My life is beautiful.  There is much to wonder at and to see.  I am amazed that it took me this long to realize that I had to choose to be happy and not wait for it to come to me.  If it were not for three very special people (my 'sis', my 'sista' and the big guy), I would probably still be spinning my wheels in the rut that was my life.  Don't look for me at that rut.  I ain't there.

I did make the one change all on my own, my decision to finally knuckle down and try to lose weight.  I've lost enough weight to make another whole person.  I haven't felt this good about myself ever.  Knowing that if I make up my mind to do something, I mean really do something, I can do it...what an awesome feeling that is!    Will it always work out like I plan?  Probably not, but that's cool.  I've learned that those little jigs left or dog-legs to the right are merely course corrections that I need to get where I'm going.  

Like I said previously, writing this blog is a way for me to communicate to others that anything is possible with the right mindset.  Is my mindset always clear and sunny?  Hell no!  I have found that by sharing I am able to shed those overpowering urges to boohoo and complain.  It lets me draw in a lot of positive energy from people who love me without having to call, text or message everyone of them.  Technology has made the world smaller, true, but it has allowed for people like me to reach out and grasp onto the hands of people willing to lift me up.

By blogging, I count my blessings.  I write of those gifts often.  I have a wonderous life, surrounded physically and virtually by people who I adore.  If I did not have my friends and my family, then I would be without hope.  BUT, I do have them.  I do love them.  

I will always need them in my life.           

No comments:

Post a Comment