Monday, January 13, 2014

#RybackWillAlwaysRule

It was an aggravating weekend.  Not because of anything that happened to me, mind you...but aggravating all the same.  Anyone who has followed this blog for any length of time knows I am a professional wrestling fan, a particularly devoted fan of the wrestler known as Ryback.  Hell, my last blog was devoted to drooling over a selfie he posted of his abs...

Yeah, I'm a fan.

This weekend was a roller coaster for Ryan Reeves fans.  Ryan Reeves, the man who plays Ryback in the ring.  His Twitter account  was very active this weekend.  Rumors are rampant that his account was hacked, that he was fired, that he quit...and of course, SOP for his account, it was tweet and delete.  Unless you were on Twitter when the tweets went out, chances are you didn't see them unless another fan retweeted them before deletion.  Otherwise, as most WWE fans know, there's a running history of Superstar tweets on the WWE website.  If you are interested, you can read the tweets here.

I'm not sure what to make of the rampage of tweets.  The rumors are raging around the dirt sheets, online rags and legit wrestling news sites.  Nothing official has been announced by the WWE.  My opinion, best to wait on the official word from the company.  If I had to guess, my hope would be a big build up to a new high mark in Ryan's career.  Am I right?  Am I wrong?  I do not know.  What I do know, I have been a fan, devoted and hardcore, since the first time I saw Ryan on RAW in 2012.  He made his debut as Ryback a few weeks earlier on SmackDown, but RAW was the big deal.  The live show.  The match was over quickly.  He wrestled a pair of jobbers, and finished them off with his signature move, Shell Shock.

If the tweets were a hack, it's just another in the long line of asshole moves by someone who has targeted the Big Guy for harassment.  He has drawn the ire of many a WWE Universe fan because he isn't like all the others.  It's a well known fact that the matches are scripted.  Wrestlers know who will win and know basically what moves they will perform during the match.  That being said, as with all things, the matches are not perfect.  There will be errors, and all of the wrestlers make them.  But for some reason, Ryan has always seemed to be a target of the internet wrestling critics (IWC).  I don't give a damn about what they think.  I have watched enough wrestling to know that shit happens, and there ain't a single wrestler on the roster that doesn't botch.  So the IWC can STFU!

If the tweets are a build up by the company to add to Ryan's fan base before the next big thing happens in his career, it's working.  He's now at nearly 900k followers on Twitter.  On the official Facebook page, he has a little over 200k followers.  Do I think it's a build up?  I sure as hell hope so.  The WWE has not been very kind to the Ryback character since fall of 2012.  They have had him lose all but two pay per view matches, both at Money in the Bank (one year apart).  The company has used him to put over several newer wrestlers, namely The Shield; turned him heel (bad guy); paired him with a manager that's sneaky, evil, underhanded, etc.; separated him from the manager after another big ppv loss; paired him with a not so bad up and coming wrestler in a lamely named tag team.  Now this latest 'drama', for lack of a better word...the interest has been stirred up for Ryback again but so much of it is negative.  I suppose publicity is publicity. Real fans of the character (and the person) are tired of watching the company misuse someone they know has more talent, skill and strength than a majority of the roster.  We know that Ryan has devoted his entire life to reaching the WWE, and we keep hoping that all of this seeming "abuse" will lead to a remarkable run as the guy to beat.  Right now, that does not seem to be happening.  I can only imagine, as frustrated as we feel, he has to be feeling that way too, no matter how positive he may be.

Which brings me to the last possibility...maybe he has gotten tired of the bullshit, and has decided to quit.  From the interviews and other information on Ryan, I have a hard time believing that he would quit.  The WWE has been his lifelong goal.  He got there.  He has had a tough time of it recently, but I really can't imagine him giving it up without a good reason.  He knew going into the WWE that the scripts don't always go in your favor.  He would have been prepared for that and for stall periods in his career.  Unless something really drastic has happened, I tend to think that the "quitting" part, well, that's just a yank on the chain of the fanbase.  Besides, why would he have bragged about a new shirt design and new action figures in the works, if he was done with the company?

Do I really know anything?  No.  I am an observer only, making guesses till the real word comes down from the company.  Anything said here - strictly my opinion.  I have no secret sources, none of that shit.  I'm a fan who now waits to see what will happen next.  Having the fans anxiously waiting, probably the whole point behind this past weekend's activity.  Ryan tweeted he arrived at the location for RAW tonight.  If he had quit, would he really be there?  I mean, being the East Coast, cold, wet, dreary...and he's from out west, from somewhere the sun tends to shine often??  Again, I suppose it's wait and see.

Meantime, I will once again declare myself a rabid, devoted, hardcore, completely infatuated fan of Ryan Reeves and his wrestling character, Ryback.  I have been a fan for two years, and will continue to be a fan, regardless of where his career takes him.  Far as I'm concerned, #RybackWillAlwaysRule!!




   

2 comments:

  1. Gr8 blog couln't have said it better my self...an if he does leave I can't say I'd blame him(will be sad) but WWE/Creative have used him awfully an b/c of them he gets shitted on by IWC idiots!!! Time will tell......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my 'sister'!!

    You are right, time will tell. I'm like you, if he left, I wouldn't blame him at all. From everything I've ever read or heard abt him, I don't think that's what will happen. He seems to be the kind of man who will bust ass to prove everyone wrong that's against him. He believes too strongly in the power of positive thinking and the laws of attraction. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

    ReplyDelete