Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Introducing the Redneck Sisterhood, Part One

I learned a very long time ago, I ain't everyone's cup of tea.  I am kinda loud, highly opinionated and extremely sarcastic.  Apply a generous dose of conservative, a red head's temper and a higher IQ than the average redneck...I have a tendency to get on people's last nerve easily.  I am not a college graduate but I speak (and write) on a fairly intelligent level, and I expect it of the people I have to be around.




I have found the people who actually take the time to get to know me think I am sorta cool.  For someone who has struggled all of their life to get people to like her, it is a great feeling.  This is one of the reasons I love my little crew of close friends I refer to as the Redneck Sisterhood.  They are all my best friends.  Each of them fills a very distinct niche in my life.  Let me introduce you to a few of them...because I know I will write about them in the future.

Some of the members are family: Mom; Lil' Sis; the Babygirl and T.

My mother is one of the most awesome women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  She has always been a tough task master - having 5 kids within 7 years made that necessary.  We always knew we were loved but we always knew what was expected of us.  There was ALWAYS discipline in our house growing up, and truth be told, there still is regardless of our ages (50 to 43).  My mom spent several years devoted to my dad during his illness.  When he died about 2 years ago, we discovered who truly was the strength in our family.  I assumed it was Daddy.  I realized it wasn't by watching my beautiful mother come to terms with the loss of her spouse of 50 years.  I found a brand new respect for her during that time and my undying devotion to my mom has grown exponentially since then.  She is a wonder, an amazement of nature and the strongest person I have ever known!

Lil' Sis is literally my little sister.  She is the pretty one, the strong one, the smart one.  She took college courses, ran a household, raised a child and a husband, all on a limited income.  Her son has grown to be a gentleman of the highest ilk, though he is very much a home-grown country boy.  Her husband has been become an excellent house husband, because he had to retire early due to disability.  My sister goes out, helps a friend start a thriving business, and brings home the funds to run their home.   Through marital discord and illness, I have watched her grow and develop into a fantastic example of who I would like to be when I finally grow up.

The Babygirl is my niece.  She is blond and beautiful, smart and funny.  At 19 years old, the whole world is laid out at her feet.  She can take it by storm if she tries.  She graduated at the top of her high school class, earned scholarship after scholarship to go to college, was accepted by some of the best schools the East Coast (the country) has to offer.  It is all there for the taking...and I highly anticipate her next move.

The T is my ex-sister-in-law & Babygirl's mom.  Yes, I said ex-sister-in-law.  She is one of my best friends. There was a time when I wanted nothing more than to drop kick her into the second Tuesday of next week but she already knows that.  She has been one of my strongest non-blood supporters since high school.  She has gotten me through some very difficult times just be being willing to listen to me bitch, complain and get shit off of my chest.  She is a pretty woman and goes no where without looking 100% her best if she can help it.  We are kind of a Mutt n Jeff pair if we go anywhere together.  Everything about her is usually 'just so' while I am more like a 'come as you are' sort.  She is one of the people that tells me I am beautiful, even when I am feeling uglier than ever.  It may be odd to have an ex-sister-in-law for a best friend, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

There are other members of the Redneck Sisterhood.  This is some of them.  Tomorrow I will tell you about few of the other women who have worked hard to try and make me a better person.  I love them all and will enjoy sharing stories of them with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment